Saturday, January 10, 1998

Sorry for the infrequent updates

1/10/98
Sorry for the infrequent updates continuing. I'm still doing a better job than everyone else. ;)

I finally got into A Small Warzone last night. I had given up because I was getting that weird offer to update my version of Subspace whenever I tried to enter the zone. This is a great zone! I believe it is run off of a modem, and hence only 10 players in the game at once. The map is very similar to the idea I was toying around with, for a small two team flag game in a tiny map. This is a *very* tiny map and probably the best design for such a game. The bases are all original and all pretty small; most are simple yet well designed. This is an incredibly fun zone to play in and I found myself spending an hour in there just as I was about to go to bed. One of the most impressive aspects of it is the ship settings. Most of the ships are severely crippled in one way or another, forcing specialization of jobs. For instance, the Terrier has almost no speed or thrust, making is a good defense ship but with a feeling of being a big, heavy piece of equipment that must slowly be moved around. There are only five flags, and the games tend to run about twenty minutes. Mote on this zone as I play there more and perhaps have a chance to talk with the owner, who is intent on either moving the zone to a higher bandwidth server or taking it down.

I visited k.g.b. Zone, whose owner Xirphoid assured me weakly that the obvious swastika design near the center of the map--with his name in the middle of it is no less, Quakesque font and all--was "a pinwheel design". He kind of avoided the question. Why do I see a BIG can of worms here? More on this as it develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment