Wednesday, May 31, 2000

It's beginning to and back again


<Sabre> Wow, how original, some industrial band covering an eighties song.
<Sabre> Why didn't I think of that?

Buckle like a wreck in a cold grey sea,
like you were a ripple in my memory.




It's beginning to and back again 

Where to begin?

Bellowing Moses and frogs from the sky, I've played a lot of Cosmic Rift over the past month and a half. It got a little dull a couple of weeks ago, so I became quite addicted to big 8 player melees of StarCraft. Boy does that game every bring out the worst in people. If you ever want to spend more time discussing a game than you actually did playing it, get a bunch of your friends together for a no-rules game of melee StarCraft. Maybe it's just that at some point I accidentally created a weird little community which seems to spontaneously generate transsexuals. Maybe it's that I can only get along well with people who'll burst into tears if their honor or sportsmanship is questioned.

I was silent for all of May. Sorry about that. I mainly care about the maps, and not many other people seem to so I haven't had a hell of a lot of interesting discussions about Subspace in recent months. For what it's worth, I've placed a new map - three years in progress and still going - in the main SCF arena for your perusal. To anyone wishing to send comments about it, I would much appreciate them. Assuming you play in it first.

Which brings me to quite a weird bit of news, which is my discovery that Run! - my first Running Zone map, was quietly put up in the main arena of AML recently, as part of its quiet transformation from League into "League-Running", I think it is. What's odd about it is how immensely unpopular this map was when I released it, and yet my understand is that the sysop chose it from a sizeable collection of RZ maps sent to him.

Running Zone when I ran it was populated mostly by people who were sick of Subspace, were unwilling to entertain change even in service to promoting and enlivening SVS, and mostly were fighting an urge to retire. It's actually a damned decent map if I may say so myself. Certainly one of the best (because one of the only) small or medium SVS maps not based around a gimmick. At any rate, if it's not gone by the time I write this have a look.

I'm going to post real news tomorrow. It will be small news, and I will be conjuring it out of thin air, but I'm going to post it just the same. It's been buzzing around me head for a while, and though to my knowledge it hasn't been done before it's very simple and shouldn't be too difficult to piece together.

Oh yes, and tomorrow is also the Minefield's 3.5 year birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment