Friday, June 2, 2000

It's all good, sort of

<berrie> there's a ct in my living room!

No escape from the mass mind rape
Play it again jack and then rewind the tape
And then play it again and again and again
Until ya mind is locked in
Believin' all the lies that they're tellin' ya
Buyin' all the products that they're sellin' ya
They say jump and ya say how high
Ya brain-dead
Ya gotta fuckin' bullet in ya head

It's all good, sort of 
Kind of forgot I scheduled an event for tomorrow. If you're interested in a good old fashioned SCF elim, watch this space for details. Most likely it'll be elimination games with a secondary objective of some sort, and start at 6:00pm EST. This is sort of a belated 2nd birthday party for the SCF.

I'm pretty much finished with this game. As soon as HyperSpace is ready, the SCF will almost definitely become a test zone for that game, and most of my mapping time is going to be spent either on that or on Half-Life, depending on when the editor for HS is completed. My relative silence here lately is due in large part to the relative silence of the Subspace community in general. As I perceive it, not much is going on in Subspace lately, and I just don't find Infantry to be an interesting subject matter. (The juiciest thing happening in Infantry lately is the news staff of NMEbase calling each other stupid in their updates--fascinating.) I'd spend more time posting here about other types of games as well as unelated internet and media type stuff, but frankly I do not feel that my feet are sufficiently wet right now. Maybe sooner, maybe later.

What's happened to Subspace in the month is really pretty sad. Normally in a case like Subspace HQ's, the absence of someone like Mackieman would result in a bunch of new staff members, all trying to flex their new public status and to be more active in the game. This is no criticism of the new staff, just an observation that Mackieman didn't really report news so much as invent it. In recent months, Mackie has probably done more for Subspace than anyone gives him credit for, just by maintaining a tone of enthusiasm and interest. This is not to say I doubt his sincerity, but I don't doubt for a moment that he's made a conscious effort to sound enthusiastic and interesting about what has in become a mostly stagnant and predictable hobby.

I do enjoy that the game has gone back to being substantially more popular than Infantry. Maybe if I and all the other people who take pleasure in those statistics actually contributed to them once in a while, the game would be as vibrant and awesome as it probably should be, but you can only kick a dead horse for so long before you get stomach acid on your shoe, eh?

And not that I've any room to criticize, but I've been pretty disappointed at how quiet SSNet has been since its redesign. This is a normal thing for any page, but the timing could not be worse given the all-but-death of SSHQ and sudden, needless, actual death of Subspace Planet. Say what you like about SS Planet and it's mostly awful staff, not to mention Rude Awakening's famous spamming habit, but that site was really getting its act together and was looking quite nice, had an active staff that seemed to be improving...and then the bottom dropped out. I am glad to see that the remaining staff members have picked up the pieces instead of just closing the site, but it could have been something really good by now had the old members not flaked out and gone off to dedicate their time to something that is truly boring and useless.

I continue to become more and more interested in Half-Life with all the new things Valve is doing for the game. It's good to be deeply into a game whose creators value their player community and regularly support their efforts. My admiration for Valve grows on an almost daily basis and the Counter-Strike forums are a lot of fun these days, devoid of most of the bullshit you usually find in online communities these days. This amazes me considering the game's popularity.

I have nothing else to say at the moment. Tomorrow morning I'm getting up at noon and setting up for the SCF game. Anyone with requests or a game they would like to run or otherwise partake in should contact me over ICQ.

Anyone got some extra bandwidth and want to do some custom HL teamplay?

No comments:

Post a Comment