Sunday, December 3, 2000

A funny thing happened on the way to oblivion . . .

A funny thing happened on the way to oblivion . . .
I was informed late last night of something I had not known since I started running Subspace zones three years ago, thanks very much. I owe a debt of gratitude to the wise newbie who clued me in to the fact, silly me, that I am required to have a rule against ball-killing in my zone. Not only that, but not withstanding my gross negligence - failing to post notices for a rule I didn't know I had - I am expected to punish my players for breaking a rule they didn't know about. Not only is ignorance of the law no excuse - it appears now that the absence of a law won't fly either.

Then I remembered that the individual scolding me plays in my zone because he is banned everywhere else. Not for any good reason, just for being his loveable self. A little secret: That's a damned good reason sometimes. Well, you get what you pay for, don't you. Perhaps I ought to start enforcing some of the other rules that are common out there in the chaotic fringe-worlds. Rules against lameness, for instance. Or cursing.

The Pointman interview will have to wait an extra day, as I didn't get a chance to approve some final changes with him. Instead I bring you a blast from the past, in the form of a long awaited reprint of The Romulans' Lamers Guide. This dates back to March 5th of 1997, exactly a month before yours truly joined the fray. All possible thanks to my old mapmaking mentor and evil homey for approving this at the last minute. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment