Friday, June 1, 2001

Hmm . . .

<saltygirl> but why is it silly to carry a hatchet?
<saltygirl> uncle buck had one!
<saltygirl> but his was bigger than mine
<saltygirl> mine's a small feminine attack hatchet
<saltygirl> the split your skull in two type

We're pilots watching the stars
Who do we think we are?

Hmm . . .
I'm kind of pissed, cuz tho it's my own fault I never got around to updating this month, I thought my most recent update was at least worth getting some feedback over. Only today did I realize I never posted the damned thing for a number of reasons.

Long story short, being married to someone who is finishing a masters degree takes up a hell of a lot more time than one might think. Now that that chapter's pretty much done with and my ongoing connection woes seem to be on hiatus for the moment, maybe I'll be able to consistently play something other than Super Nintendo roms. I'll probably spend the time playing Quake as usual, but you never know.

The update I never posted will go in the archives, but I do have this to say. I'm thinking of doing some new events now that the Summer is underway and I have quite a bit more free time at my disposal, and it's occurred to me that if we were to make it more of a floating, rotating sort of club than an event per se, we could eliminate 90% of the chaos and achieve greater more drama with fewer people. Check the archive if this interests you. I'd repeat it here but I think that's my only other update this month and I'd rather not have the same stuff in every update of the archive.

On that note, I'm going to fuck around some with the SCF main arena. I've been simmering a new Turf variant on the back burner for a while and might jump into that head first. Anyone interested in helping with ideas, give a shout.

Oh, for anyone who ever wondered what happened to Bridge Builder, the page is back up. I heard tell the guy was threatened with a lawsuit over the name. Amazing to me that more people want the new name to be Bridge Constructor than Suicide Train. At any rate the game's available again here.

I've started playing Anarchy Online. God I hate fighting mobs. Running around in a park full of people shooting all the animals or whatever. How gay is that. But I intend to endure it because the game's pretty as hell, I haven't invested any time in a MMORPG since my prehistoric MUD days, and most importantly the core of the game is a factional PvP conflict, though you wouldn't know it from playing the game itself. I'm hopefully it'll evolve into something more interesting than EverQuest with nanotech or Tribes with lagged dice-roll-based combat.

If anyone was keeping track, the new Plaid album is superb. Plaid being 2/3 of the former Black Dog, from the same record label as the Aphex Twin, Autechre, Squarepusher, and Boards of Canada. After their previous two albums as Plaid I had mostly given up on them as being damned good but no fun - constantly either too intellectual or too goofy. The new album, Double Figure, strikes a good balance and manages to be a great deal of fun in the process. Funky but not stupid funky; full of melodies; decidedly not experimental, which is a Good Thing. I tire of brainy bubble music written with spreadsheet software. Pirate yourself a copy of Squance or Zamami or Sincetta and see what you think.

I probably won't upload this update either, seeing as GameHacker appears to be broken at the moment.

Oh yeah, the Game Boy Advance sucks. In case anyone was curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment